Him And Her- The Meeting.

Him

I’m halfway to the bathroom when my alarm started ringing. I left it ringing because I'm too lazy to walk back and turn it off. Another day of waking early for school in where I'm going to do nothing. I turned on the bathroom light and tried to compromise with myself on how shit this day going to be.

                I almost forgot to introduce myself. My name is Way, going to be 16 this July and hell, my life is great. Being an alpha male when around my friends bring extra confidence in you and everyone just wants to know you. Having girls to ask for your number or boys to ask you to join their football team is almost a daily routine. Of course I play hard to get. So far, I have been in no relationship cause no girl is up to my standard. But, you know how puberty works. Here and then, I go gaga over celebrities.

                Outside of school, I’m more of a celebrity than a normal teenager. I co-write a book with a local author and that’s when people started noticing me. A year ago, the local football club offered me a contract to play for them, but I’m still waiting for a better offer. Best of the lot is I play guitar and I upload guitar covers on Youtube and almost reaching 50k subscribers. What sucks is that I can’t sing. My voice is like an out of tune violin harmonized with a dying walrus. Doesn’t makes sense? Yeah, just like my voice. My friends all laugh at the only thing I’m bad at. They heard me sing once, and they would rather sit in biology class for 3 hours than listening to me sing again.

                Speaking of friends, I got a few I can call my bro. First up is Daniel. Super tall, basketball dude and a genius. He is the reason why im still studying. I always was a few marks below him and to be honest his marks are always 95 and above. I can’t complain much. Then, there’s Meng. My football buddy. We have a telepathy connection and no defense in our school and withstand us. Lastly, J. He is the joker in our group. Not really the brightest in our class but I’m pretty sure he can brighten up your day. All of this looks so perfect until she comes along and bam, like a bomb going off.

Her
                I heard a knock on the door and I instantly woke up and regretted it. Tpday was the first in my new school. Its weird for someone to shift halfway through the term but I had some problems with the teacher. “Yeah mom. I’m awake. So stop abusing my poor door.”

                “Good morning to you too.” I heard she said. I grunted and went to prepare myself for hell. I meant school.

                My name is Jackie. I turned 16 last April and guess who came for my sweet 16 birthday party? A tortoise. Nah, I’m just joking. It was only one friend who came an hour late. That’s what happens when you’re not the cool kid in school. I'm known to be a nerd and geek. I’m also a girl gamer but no one noticed that. I don’t remember myself to have any talent. Does memorizing and quick leaner count?

                I don’t really have much friend as well. Just one. Maybe two if you count the imaginary friend I had when I was a kid. I miss him. The other friend who was actually meat and flesh goes ny the name of Sarah. Our friendship was on  and off with all the dramas my school has. I don’t really have a man in my life. My father left me and my mom when I was just 6 and since then I haven’t trusted any puppy. Let alone me having a boyfriend if I don’t even trust them. 

Him

I greeted my friends on my way to class. Daniel, always smart with his uniform and tie and Meng wears a jersey under his uniform just in case he needs a quick kick around during recess. J was a bit messy but hell girls love bad boys. “What’s up, sloppy head?” I laughed.

                “Definitely not your day.” I replied. First up for the day was history and this means time to sleep. My teacher definitely can go help people with insomnia. She would have saved hundreds of people. All of us sat at the back which makes us easier to sleep, talk and do homeworks sometimes.

                “Good morning, teacher.” The class monitor said when she entered the class. No one followed the monitor’s greeting. I stifled a laugh.

                “Looks like everyone is still sleepy.” Mrs. Shelly commented.

               Everybody ignored her and continued doing what they were doing. She took out the textbook and started teaching. I looked around and noticed that half the class was concentrating. That’s a record. Probably because the midterm exam is coming soon. I’m feeling very much awake thanks to coffee so I need another distraction. Daniel and J were talking about NBA and I don’t get a single clue what they were saying. Meng was drawing football strategies on a piece of paper in which he probably going to use in FIFA later. For the first time this year, history doesn’t seem so boring at all.
                From the corner of my eyes, I saw a girl, probably my age walking towards my class. I ignored her as I did for every other new student. I took a second and proper look at the girl when she knocked the door. Great! First day at the new school and she was late. I’m going to have a good laugh at her. I contained my laughter while trying to predict what Mrs. Shelly reaction was going to be. She just waved her in as if she was just a troublesome fly. (And she is)

                She sat at the only empty seat in the class beside the geek which makes them the perfect fit. Suddenly, our eyes met. I suddenly saw all of her features as if someone painted them in my brain.  Her black hair falls just over her shoulder. Her face is sharp and her eyes are black and full of uncertainties. Her lip was small and cute and looked as if she was pouting. Blood rushed to my face and that was something that hasn’t happened in a long time.

Her

  I don’t know what’s worse. Me going to a new school without me knowing anybody or me going to the office to see the principal. My mom got to go to a meeting and she can’t listen to the things my new principal going to say. She said, “All he is going to say is good luck, don’t cause trouble and welcome. In that order as well.
               
                To my surprise, the principal was in early and I was actually hoping I could skip a few periods. I sat outside his room while waiting for him to call me in. I did not have any trouble finding the office because there is a big map in the lobby. On the way here, a few students glanced my way and some puppies even make a few cat calls but no one actually said hi. I was okay with it since I’m not in the mood to introduce myself. My daydream was stopped halfway when I heard my name was called.
                “Good morning, Mr. Principal” I said as I stepped in his office.

                “I’m not the principal. I’m just a janitor.” The guy sitting behind the desk filled with papers and trophies. I stared at his suit and tie and made a face. “I’m just joking. Call me Mr. Choo and good morning to you too. I was hoping that might help in wiping that sleepy look off your face. “

                “Nice try.” I thought.

                “So let’s get down to business shall we?” He handed me my timetable and warned me of a few students to not mix with. Some of the rules that were implied by him were weird but thoughtful. Example, students have the right to not say thank you to the teacher if they thought the teacher did not do a good job in teaching them. “Any questions?” He asked. “Can I skip class today?”

                He smiled and told me to ask the clerk outside for directions to my class. I shrugged and walked outside and of course I said thank you beforehand. The clerk politely showed me the directions and even offered to walk me there. I declined because I saw the huge stack of papers on her desk. It took me 5 minutes to get to the class. The school wasn’t that big, I just want to delay the time I walk into hell.

                I walked to the front door and knocked. The plump teacher was at the front of the class, deeply engrossed in reading a text from the textbook. She waved me in without even looking up. How rude. I looked around and saw the only empty seat was beside a tanned, four eyes and cute girl at the side of the class. I felt a pair of eyes was boring into me as I walked to my seat. I sat down and tried to identify the eyes that were causing me discomfort.

                Our eyes met for a second. I studied him and noticed that he is tanned, average height and a cool hair. He definitely looks like a spoilt rich kid and those are the people I want to avoid at all cost. Though, at second look, he did look familiar. I gave him a look and turned my back to him.


Him 

That was really weird. I cannot believe I actually stared at her for 10 minutes straight. What a weirdo. I hope she did not notice that. But, on the other hand I wanted her to notice me. I don’t even know what I’m feeling right now. Straight after history was 2 period of English and then Mathematics. I didn’t have the chance to talk to her or maybe I’m just finding excuses because I’m too shy.

                Daniel noticed my sudden silence and asked what was wrong. I shrugged him off. Today lesson for English was literature and it was boring. (Also) I stole a few glances at her during the class because male hormones, that’s why. The geek sitting beside the new student was quiet as a mouse and shy and I don’t think they had even introduced her. Typical Sarah.

                At one point, Mrs. Sally noticed to the new student and asked her to come out and introduce herself. She only responded when Sarah nudged her from her half asleep slumber. “Err… Yes. My name is Jackie.” She stood up straight and knocked the table behind her. She turned around to say sorry but she knocked Sarah’s bottle in the process. “OMG, I’m so sorry.”

                “Jackie, calm down. Come in front and introduce yourself before everyone thinks you’re a clumsy girl.”

                Jackie walked to the front with a heavy heart and for the second time today, I started to notice everything about her. The way she walks, smiles and puffs her cheeks were etched in my mind as if I knew her from a long time ago. “Come on sleepy head. Give her us some of the pills you use so that we can grab some shut eye too.” I said to try and get her attention. Mrs. Sally silenced me with a cold stare.

Her
                “Hey, my name is Jackie. I just shifted from Malacca.” I began while trying to avoid any kind of eye contact with anyone. I looked around the class room and noticed only one stood out. The guy at the back that kept staring at me was really familiar. I scratched my head and tried to remember where I had seen him from. “Are you particularly interested in monkeys?” The teacher’s voice broke my thought.

                “What?”

                “Why are you scratching your head like that?”

                “Oh, yeah.” I quickly stopped myself and stood awkwardly and stared at the bulletin board at the back. “Anything else you want to add?”

                “Nope.” I answered quickly.

                “Great. Why don’t you read out this poem and show the class what you are made of.” She handed me a poem titled ‘But You Didn’t.’ I read this on the internet once and it was really sad. Before I know it, I began reciting it and everyone was transfixed by my voice. When I finished, Mrs. Sally stared at me like I just killed someone. “You are an exceptional talent, Jackie. Your voice is pure, soft and angelic.”

                “Thank you.” I said then I rushed to my seat before anyone noticed I was blushing. What a good way to introduce yourself to the class, I thought.

                “That was really amazing, Jackie.”

                I turned and noticed the geek sitting beside finally broke out of her shell to talk to me. “Thank you, Sarah.”

                “Are you blushing?”

                I shushed her and put my face in between my hands. “You’re so cute.”

Him

“Woah.” I whispered to Meng. “That was amazing. Even Mrs. Sally praised her and that only comes once in a blue moon.                

                “Who cares? It’s not coming up for our exam. Imagine Paper 3 English, recite a poem. That is going to be a nightmare, except for her.”

                The rest of the English period went in a flash. Once in a while, J cracked a joke much to Mrs. Sally’s annoyance. “What did the other wave said to the other wave?” J would ask.
                “Nothing, they just waved.”

                “That joke is old.” I said but I laughed anyway. “Would you like to share what was so funny?” Mrs. Sally asked.  

                “Nope.” I said while trying to keep a straight face. “Well I hope you finished my homework.”

                After collecting our books, she went off. Our Maths teacher probably did not come as it was already 10 minutes into his period and he was never late. I took it as a chance to break the ice with new homasapien called Jackie.

                “Hey, Jackie. What’s up?” I knocked on her table in which she used as a pillow to sleep on. “Can’t you see I’m making out with the table?” Came her muffled reply.

                “Nice to meet you too, Jackie. My name is Way.”

                She finally looked up and her messy hair that runs all over hair face makes her look like a seaweed monster. I stifled a laugh. “Would you mind writing down in a piece of paper because I don’t bother remembering the name of a person who kept staring at me. I laughed. I really did. “Your sense of humor is weird.” She commented when she sees me laugh at her insult.

                “Look who cracked the joke.”

                “Yes, I’m regretting it now. Could you move because you are using up all my oxygen I need to undergo respiration and create energy to run away from someone like you.”

                “I think we are going to be friends just fine. See you later, sleepy head.” I said when I noticed my friends were giving me funny looks.

                “How about no? By the way, my name is Jackie and not sleepy head. I don’t think sleep all the time and not finish my homework.”


                “Coolio, another geek. I wonder where you get the idea from.” I gave Sarah a death glance. I began to walk back to my seat when she said, “We will see if we get along as friends.” I smiled.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remember to give it a like and share it with your friends!
The page, https://www.facebook.com/azelfandsteven?
My FB. https://www.facebook.com/wei.wah.5


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave.

The Battle With Brain Fog

3 weeks in.